When we previewed this year’s Subway Series Monday I wished that the team could give the fans a few good games. Mission accomplished and then some. Some quick last thoughts on a memorable week of Mets baseball.
* Watching Marlon Byrd bang home runs out of Yankee Stadium puts Vernon Wells’s season in perspective. Every ball to right field is a potential home run.
* We had great starting pitching all week. And notice when that happens how the bullpen looked. It does all start with starting pitching, keep thinking good thoughts about Wheeler, Montero, and the rest of the clan.
* What the hell was Gee throwing tonight, it looked like a knuckle curve? And where has it been all year?
* Lost in all the “We are killing Scott Rice” hoopla is this; Scott Rice is pitching fantastic. A tip of the hat to Sandy and his crew on this signing, we all know how valuable a good late inning lefty is.
* This is the year they cut the Subway Series to four games? I want more!
Bring on those rough and tough Marlins.